The Pittsburgh Steelers announced on Thursday that they released six-time Pro Bowler David DeCastro.
DeCastro was released due to a non-football related injury. He said that he needs ankle surgery.
“I have to get surgery on my ankle a third time,” DeCastro said. “I tried to fix it last year but the bone spurs kept coming back. It nagged me pretty bad all last year.
“Gotta see how the surgery goes, but I’d have no problem calling it a day and moving on with my life,” DeCastro answered when asked whether he still wants to play after the surgery.
“David was without a doubt one of the premier offensive linemen during his time with us,” said Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert in a statement.
DeCastro missed the first two games of the 2020 season due to knee issues. He, however, was featured in 13 of Pittsburgh’s last 14 games.