Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Dianna Gould-Saltman has denied a restraining order request against Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer.
The judge ruled that Bauer did not pose a future threat against the 27-year-old woman who accused the pitcher of sexual assault earlier in June.
“We are grateful to the Los Angeles Superior Court for denying the request for a permanent restraining order and dissolving the temporary restraining order against Mr. Bauer today,” said Shawn Holley, Bauer’s lawyer.
In the court, Holley argued that the accuser had sent explicit text messages multiple times, which led Bauer to believe she was experienced in what both sides agree was “rough sex.”
“When you engage in this milieu, you are entering into a danger zone,” Holley said. “And the best you can do when you enter into an encounter is to have as much of an understanding of the other person as possible.”
On the other hand, the accuser’s attorney, Lisa Meyer, argued that the woman could not give full consent to anal sex during their first meeting or get punched during the second encounter after Bauer choked her to the point of being unconscious.
“A person who is unconscious cannot give consent, and more importantly, even if given beforehand, cannot be withdrawn because they are unconscious,” Meyer said.
Major League Baseball has extended Bauer’s paid administrative leave through August 27.