NFL QB Ryan Fitzpatrick to retire after 17 seasons
NFL QB Ryan Fitzpatrick to retire after 17 seasons
- Football Team
Ryan Fitzpatrick spent 17 seasons in the NFL with nine different teams on his way to becoming a fan favorite.
Fitzpatrick made his first start when Los Angeles Rams star starter Marc Bulger was injured. He was then activated for four straight games, three as a starter, and was 0-3.
He has the most career passing yards (34,990) of any quarterback drafted in the seventh round or later in the modern draft era, surpassing Steve DeBerg, who was drafted in the tenth round in 1977, by 749 yards. He also holds at least 11 NFL records.
"He's...no doubt one of the top two or three quarterbacks that I've ever played with," Owens said. "I've played with a number of quarterbacks, a Hall of Famer in Steve Young ... Not to discredit what I did or didn't do with Steve, but you think about the quarterbacks that I've played a longer tenure with outside of him. You think about the Tony Romos, you think about the Donovan McNabbs, the Jeff Garcias. Ryan Fitzpatrick was one of those guys that I loved to play with, and I had a lot of success with."
- Terrell Owens
"Ryan is like the best guy you could ever want in your locker room, so very welcoming and excited to be there, and just grateful for his opportunity."
- Former Bengals center Dan Santucci
Ryan Fitzpatrick started at quarterback for nine different teams, the most in league history. He is also the only NFL player to throw a touchdown pass and interception with eight different teams.
Ryan Fitzpatrick served as the starting QB for 9 different teams in his career, the most of any player in NFL history.
— Field Yates (@FieldYates) June 2, 2022
Fitzpatrick owns at least 11, albeit mostly obscure, NFL records.
- Most consecutive regular season games with at least two touchdown passes in one stadium (MetLife Stadium 2015) during one season: 9
- Most career touchdown passes by an Ivy League graduate: 223
- First quarterback to start a game against one opponent (Jacksonville Jaguars) with six different teams (St. Louis Rams, Buffalo Bills, Houston Texans, New York Jets, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Miami Dolphins)
- First quarterback to throw four touchdown passes in a single game with five different teams (Buffalo Bills, Tennessee Titans, Houston Texans, New York Jets, Tampa Bay Buccaneers)
- First quarterback to start and win against same opponent (Jacksonville Jaguars) with six different teams
- Most touchdown passes of at least 50 yards through a team’s first two games – 4 (tied with Joe Namath)
- Most consecutive games of 400 yards passing and four touchdowns to begin a season – 2 (2018)
- Most consecutive games of 400 yards passing to begin a season – 3 (2018)
- Most consecutive games of 400 yards passing – 3 (2018)
- Most games with at least 400 passing yards in a single season – 4 (tied with Dan Marino and Peyton Manning)
- Only player in NFL history to pass for a TD against 1 opponent (Eagles) with 7 different franchises (Rams, Bengals, Bills, Texans, Jets, Buccaneers, Dolphins) in his career.
Hail To The Amish Rifle
During his time with the Bills, Ryan Fitzpatrick grew out his beard and has jokingly referred to himself as “the Amish Rifle.” He has also received the nicknames “Fitzmagic” and “Fitztragic” due to his competitive, but inconsistent performances in games, as well as “Fitzception” for his tendency to throw costly interceptions in key games.
Completed (game winning) pass because in a world of 7 billion people, there is only one Ryan Fitzpatrick pic.twitter.com/0c4q2cD7qw
— Trevor Sikkema (@TampaBayTre) December 27, 2020
— NFL (@NFL) December 27, 2020
Credit: Douglas DeFelice-USA TODAY Sports
"There has to be something back there, because...he's not a prototypical quarterback that can just take hits like that all day," Myers said. "But he seems to do it and he keeps coming. He's like the Energizer Bunny."
- Chris Myers - Texans Center
"Forever grateful for the magical ride."
- Ryan Fitzpatrick
Whole Lotta Love
Ryan Fitzpatrick is married to Liza Barber. They have seven children together as of 2021, 3 sons: Brady (12), Tate (10), and Jake (1), and 4 daughters: Lucy (8), Maizy (6), Zoey (4), and Ruby (2).
Fitzpatrick never removes his wedding ring, including during games; he stated in a 2011 interview, “It’s important for me not to take it off.”
He was named the fifth-smartest athlete in sports by Sporting News in 2010.
— Radio City (@RadioCity) June 23, 2016
That no look pass against the raiders is always gonna stick with me. What a game/moment.
Dolphins legend. And bills legend. And football team legend. And bucs legend. And jets legend. And Texans legend. And titans legend. And rams legend. And bengals legend Edit: And Harvard legend
Loved watching the Phins with this man under center. The guy just loves the game and leaves everything on the field. All the respect in the world to him. Nothing against Tua, but I wish we let him play out the 2020 season. And week 17 2019 against the Pats will forever be one of my favorite Phin games of all time.
This guy made football in Miami fun for the first time in 15 years. I say retire #14.
Ryan Joseph Fitzpatrick is an American football quarterback who is a free agent.wikipedia