Lennon: Trade wins cannot make up for deGrom’s lost time

The Mets better hope for a 2015 Cespedes-like surge out of Javy Baez after getting him from the Cubs roughly 90 minutes before Friday’s deadline.

Unless there’s something we don’t know, and he also throws 100 mph with a wicked slider.

Because in keeping with the Mets’ long tradition of following a positive event by blindsiding everyone with something terrible, acting general manager Zack Scott — shortly after the Baez presser — revealed that Jacob deGrom was being shut down for two weeks (again) with elbow inflammation.

Though there’s never a good time to discover the best pitcher on the planet is not likely to return until September — now the most optimistic scenario — finding out a few hours before the deadline was less than ideal. Scott said deGrom felt discomfort after Thursday’s 36-pitch side session, went for an MRI around noon Friday and the Mets didn’t have a results-based strategy for him until 1 or so.

By then, it was too late to formulate any contingency plans for the dwindling trade market. As if that were even possible for a two-time Cy Young winner who was a lock for a third before his second trip to the IL earlier this month.

“It didn’t really change things,” Scott said, “because you can’t replace Jacob deGrom.”

The closest thing on the market was Max Scherzer, owner of three Cy trophies, but the Mets were told days ago he’d use his…

Click here to read the full article at Newsday >

Feedback