As he continues to battle through a campaign defined by injuries, Jacob deGrom offered optimism on Tuesday that he can contribute to the Mets before season’s end.
Speaking publicly for the first time since the Mets revealed he would be shut down from throwing for two weeks due to right elbow inflammation, deGrom said he doesn’t feel his season is in jeopardy.
“You never want to feel anything in your elbow,” deGrom told reporters at Marlins Park in Miami. “Concerning? Yeah, I don’t like it. I want to be pitching. That’s one of the most frustrating things — I feel like I was having the best year of my career, and then these little bumps and setbacks, and now this. So it’s definitely frustrating. A little bit concerning. But how it feels this past week, I think is a plus.”
deGrom has not thrown a baseball since the Mets shut him down last week, and he won’t attempt to do so until a follow-up MRI comes out clean. He’s scheduled for that toward the end of next week.
A best-case scenario would have deGrom restart a throwing program next weekend, begin a Minor League rehab assignment by the end of the month, then return to the Mets in early September. But the margin for error is slim; any additional setback could cost deGrom most of the rest of the remaining season. Already, deGrom has missed time this year due to…