Back with Broncos on one-year deal, Kareem Jackson, 33, says he has “a lot” of football left to play

For eight days in March, Kareem Jackson was a former Broncos safety … and then he became a current Broncos safety.

Jackson’s contract option was declined March 15; he would have counted $13.8 million toward the salary cap. He surveyed the safety market, but returned to the Broncos on March 23 via a one-year, $5 million deal.

Why return?

“There’s a great group of guys here and it’s a particular scheme I like to play in,” Jackson said after Saturday’s training camp practice in his first comments since re-signing. “It was key to me being in a great scheme and I’m comfortable being here the last two years.”

And there was one other reason.

“I didn’t want to move,” Jackson said. “Moving is a headache and picking up and going to another city is not something I was ready to do.”

Coach Vic Fangio said he was “confident” Jackson would remain with the Broncos after the option was declined.

“But ultimately, it was going to be up to him,” Fangio said. “I wasn’t sure how it was going to turn out.”

It turned out well for the Broncos, whose secondary overhaul could be exclusive to the cornerback position (Ronald Darby, Kyle Fuller and Pat Surtain II). Had Jackson not returned, Paton and Co., may have been forced to draft a second-round safety who could start immediately instead of running back Javonte Williams.

Last year, Jackson played 1,083 snaps and had…

Click here to read the full article at Denver Post >

Feedback