Jordan Staal: 2021-22 By the Numbers
- Age: 33
- NHL seasons: 16
- Scoring: 17 goals, 19 assists, 36 points in 78 games
- Playoff scoring: 1 goal, 5 assists, 6 points in 14 games
- Advanced statistics: 58.38 CF%, 58.23 HDCF%, 57.46 xGF%, 57.5 GF%
- Average TOI: 13:43 ES, 0:42 PP, 2:13 SH
- Contract status: Signed through 2022-23 at $6.0 million AAV
What were you doing ten years ago?
Chances are, your answer is not “exactly the same thing I am doing today.” But if you’re Jordan Staal and you’re reading this, first off, hello! – and second, yep, you’re the exception that proves the rule.
It’s hard to believe that it has been ten years since Staal was acquired from Pittsburgh and immediately signed to a ten-year contract extension that pays him $6 million annually. That extension enters its final year next season, and Staal has hinted that he might not sign another one. Back to that in a second.
Over his career with the Hurricanes, he’s been a model of consistency, especially defensively. In only one season was he below league average in expected goals against percentage, and much more often he’s been among the league’s best.
But over the past couple of years, things have started to take a tumble offensively for the captain, culminating in a season where his defensive play (mostly) stood up to scrutiny, but there wasn’t the offensive threat to pair with it. As a result,…